Specialties We are a branch of the Indianapolis Public Library. We have 21 computers in our computer lab that can be used at no cost. We also have free Wifi in our branch. Along with the computers patrons are welcome to get library cards and check out books, cd’s & DVD’s. History Established in 1918 The Garfield Park Branch, formerly known as the Shelby Branch, serves a lively and diverse population on the south side of Indianapolis. Its current name reflects the desire of neighborhood residents to refer to the branch by their beloved and well-known Garfield Park, which sits adjacent to the branch. The original Shelby Branch opened on September 9, 1918 when the south side was still mainly farmland. The library was first housed in the old District School No. 34 at 2359 Shelby Street. Construction began on a 6,400-square-foot facility in 1964, and the new Shelby Branch opened on November 8, 1965. Following a major renovation project in the summer and fall of 2011, the library reopened as the Garfield Park Branch on November 3, 2011.